Friday, April 29, 2011

Dear Grandpa,

You know that feeling you get when you finally feel motivated? It's like when I'm searching in my room for an outlet that actually works. I move from wall to wall, plugging in this stupid charger to my phone and then, like that, my phone lights up with life. It's these kind of feelings that we life for, you know, the ones where you realize that what you're meant to do. It happened to me once before when I filled out my applications to transfer all in one day. I did something that normally takes a typical high school senior the whole summer to complete, in one day. One afternoon. 

Now I know what I have to do in life. No matter what happens, where, or why, I'm working my ass off to be someone important. I'm not settling for less. So many people just ride life, doing the bare minimum to survive and they don't LIVE. Really live. We're put into this life to work at something and feel that glory of accomplishment. I know people that are the hardest workers that earn half of what they deserve and I know others that haven't a callous on their hands and watch the money pour in. But, Grandpa, they don't live. 

I'm your granddaughter in this regard. You truly taught this family how to work, how to make a family, and how to teach respect. I only hope to earn your respect in the future by working as hard as you did. Whatever I do, I'll be the boss, I'll earn my money, and I won't rely on anyone. 

I just saw a movie today called "Tuck Everlasting". The last time I saw it was in 8th grade. Yet, there was one quote that I never really internalized until today: "Be afraid of the unlived life". I promise you that I will do the best I can, from this day forward, and I will live my life.


Love always,
Your granddaughter

No comments:

Post a Comment

.